Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A New Beginning

July was a very eventful month for me.  I have been spending the past seven months looking for employment any where in the nation just to get me out of Montana.  I have filled out over 50 applications to various school districts throughout the States and other sales companies.  After seven months of no responses or failed interviews, two different opportunities presented themselves to me within a matter of a week.  I have been selling cell phones the past year and quarter, so I decided to apply for a cell phone company.  I was offered a job as a store manager for an AT&T store in Jackson, Wyoming.  I accepted that job offer with no hesitation just to get myself out of Montana.  Although I did accept the offer, I was never really excited about moving to Jackson and selling cell phones.  Once I accepted that job, I had a feeling that I was not going to end up in Jackson so I never really started to pack even though I was supposed to be there in a week and a half.

After a half a week of doing nothing, I received a random phone call from Brockbank Junior High School in Magna, Utah.  The principal told me that I was on a short list of candidates and wanted to interview.  I had an impression to race down to Magna to interview in person rather than over the tele.  Turned out to be the best decision of the year.  After work, my dad and I raced down to Salt Lake City.  We arrived in SLC around 3:30 in the AM.  We got a couple hours and sleep and then I had to wake up for the big interview.  After the interview, I didn't really know where I stood. I had no idea whether or not I would be asked to take the job.  We went over to Gateway after my interview and started to shop around.  We found my favorite store, Foot Locker, and looked for a new pair of shoes.  As I was trying my shoes on, my lovely iPhone 4 rang loudly.  It was a 435 number that I did not recognize so I answered, "This is Andrew."  A happy voice responded, "Andrew, this is the principal at Brockbank Junior High and we would like to offer you the position....."  I have no idea what was said after that but I do remember wanting to leap into the air and start yelling.  Then I realized I was in a public store and didn't want to look like a fool. 

Anyways, instead of heading to Jackson to sell cell phones, I am now the Utah Studies and PE teacher at Brockbank Junior High School in Magna.  School starts in three weeks and I have to be at new teacher training next week.  Life is grand.  It is such a relief to know I can use my degree after all.  I no longer feel like I wasted five years of my life going to BYU-I.  Now I just feel bad for those kids who have to sit through my Utah Studies course, listening to a teacher who knows nothing about Utah History .  Salt Lake City (aka Disneyland for the LDS) here I come!  

No comments:

Post a Comment