Friday, October 14, 2011

The Career Has Begun

It's been a couple of months since I've updated this.  A lot has been going on in the life of Mr. Walker.  I have been in Salt Lake City for over two months now.  Time has flown since being down here.  My career choice is the perfect profession for me.  My kids are the greatest things on Earth.  Some of them are a big pain in the ars but for the most part these kids are great.  I work in a school with a lot of kids who live in poverty.  I'm shocked at the amount of diversity in my school.  We have a lot of Hispanics and a lot of Poly's.  Who knew Utah had so much diversity.  Well at least Magna has a lot.  My new interest is soccer.  A few of the girls on the soccer team are in my PE classes so I have been going to the games.  After 24 years of hating soccer, I am now converted now that I somewhat understand the rules. 

I have gotten a couple of different responses from the kids.  My Utah Studies classes love my class.  On the other hand, my PE classes think I am "the meanest teacher EVER!"  My PE classes are always complaining because I make them actually work.  I secretly love being called the meanest teacher ever.  The other teachers say it means I am doing my job well.  After two weeks of school, one of the trouble makers in one class was transferred to my class because I have a lot of structure.  He's not a trouble maker anymore.  Because of this, I have had to deal with discipline issues of other teachers.  I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.  We have an amazing Fitness Center for a Junior High.  Unfortunately it is empty every period of the day.  I have started an after school Fitness Club and have gotten a great number of kids to join for the first year.  Every day these kids do something to amaze me, good or bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment